German Underground Hospital

St Andrew·Attraction

Standout

Active since 1942

Story

The German Underground Hospital (Ho.40) and Ammunition Store (Ho.7) were constructed by forced labourers during the German Occupation of Guernsey. Site work began in early 1942 and was largely complete by early 1944. 29,823m³ of rock was excavated and 9,053m³ of concrete poured. Originally planned as shelters, they were converted to hospital and ammunition store use around 1943-1944.

German Underground Hospital is a WWII tunnel complex and museum in St Andrew, covering 6,950 square metres. Constructed by forced labourers from 1942, it comprises the Ho.40 hospital and Ho.7 ammunition store — the largest structural reminder of the German Occupation in the Channel Islands. Operated by Gustav Limited in affiliation with Festung Guernsey. Self-guided tours available with map and information sheet.

Specialises in5

Each capability links to every business in the Baliwick that shares it.

Established

1942 · 84 years

Visiting & access

Wheelchair access
Yes — level throughout with small ramps, wheelchairs available on site, drop-off point near front door
Parking
Yes — large car park opposite main entrance

Hours

April & October: Fri-Mon 10am-4pm (Tue-Thu closed); May-September: 7 days 10am-4pm; Last admission 3pm; Closed November-March except by arrangement for groups of 10+

Contact

Social
Address
La Vassalerie, St Andrew, Guernsey GY6 8XL

History2

Key dates and recorded company events for German Underground Hospital.

  • 1943Converted to hospital and ammunition store use · Originally planned as shelters, they were converted to hospital and ammunition store use around 1943-1944.
  • 1944Construction largely complete

Compiled from public sources — mistakes are possible. If something here looks wrong, let us know.