Hauteville House
St Peter Port·Attraction
Part of Maisons de Victor Hugo / City of Paris (Ville de Paris)
Standout
Active since 1927
Story
Built c.1800 by an English privateer. Purchased by Victor Hugo on 16 May 1856 using revenues from Les Contemplations. Hugo lived here during exile 1856-1870 and returned in 1872, 1875, and 1878. Donated to the City of Paris in March 1927 by Hugo's descendants (Jeanne, Jean, Marguerite, and François Hugo) during the centenary of Romanticism. Major renovation 2008-2009; interior restoration funded by François Pinault (£2.6 million) with reopening 7 April 2019.
Hauteville House is the historic house-museum in St Peter Port where Victor Hugo lived during his 15-year exile from France (1856–1870). Hugo designed and decorated the five-floor interior himself and wrote Les Misérables, Les Travailleurs de la mer, and other major works here. Donated to the City of Paris in 1927, it is now operated as a guided-tour museum by Maisons de Victor Hugo. —
Specialises in3
Each capability links to every business in the Baliwick that shares it.
Quick facts
- Established
- 1927 · 99 years
- Payment methods
- Contactless
Credentials
Memberships & accreditations
- States Of Guernsey Heritage
Awards & recognition
- TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice 2025
- Tourisme et Handicap label
Visiting & access
- Wheelchair access
- Limited — five-level building with stairs throughout. Tourisme et Handicap label. Assistance dogs welcome. Phone/email to arrange disability accommodations.
- Parking
- No bike parking on-site; nearest at harbour. Steep walk up from St Peter Port.
- Public transport
- Bus routes 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, P2
Hours
- Mon
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Tue
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Wed
- Closed
- Thu
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Fri
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Sat
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Sun
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Contact
- Phone
- +44 1481 721911
- hugohouse@cwgsy.net
- Address
- 38 Hauteville, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 1DG
History6
Key dates and recorded company events for Hauteville House.
- 1856—Purchased by Victor Hugo · Victor Hugo purchased the house using revenues from Les Contemplations and lived there during his exile.
- 1872—Victor Hugo returned to the house
- 1875—Victor Hugo returned to the house
- 1878—Victor Hugo returned to the house
- 2008—Major renovation began
- 2019—Reopened after interior restoration · Interior restoration was funded by François Pinault with £2.6 million.
Location
Directions ↗Compiled from public sources — mistakes are possible. If something here looks wrong, let us know.
Also in Museums Heritage Centres
See all 15 Museums Heritage Centres in Guernsey →- Alderney MuseumAlderney
MLA-accredited history museum, Gulbenkian Award winner — prehistoric to WWII collections & archive
- Folk & Costume MuseumCastel
Costume and textile museum — Channel Islands' only permanent exhibition
- Fort Grey Shipwreck MuseumSt Pierre du Bois
Maritime museum in historic Martello tower — local shipwreck artefacts.
- German Occupation MuseumForest
WWII occupation museum — artefacts, recreated street, wartime vehicles.
- German Underground HospitalSt Andrew
WWII tunnel complex & museum — largest structural reminder of the German Occupation
- Guernsey Museum & Art GallerySt Peter Port
Island heritage and art collections — archaeology, natural history, fine art.