Le Moulin de Quanteraine

St Pierre du Bois·Attraction

Part of The National Trust of Guernsey

Standout

Oldest historic sites & landmark · of 15 with a recorded founding year

Story

Last water mill to function in Guernsey, closing in the 1930s. Acquired by the National Trust in 1989 via bequest from Elizabeth Silten. Waterwheel restored in 1991 by College of Further Education students, repaired again in 2012 and 2020. The wheel was demolished during the German Occupation in WWII and later rebuilt. As of 1931, the mill was operated by Mrs M L de Garis grinding corn, oats, and barley.

Le Moulin de Quanteraine is a 16th-century water mill in St Pierre du Bois, managed by the National Trust of Guernsey. The last water mill to operate in Guernsey, it closed in the 1930s. Features include a restored working waterwheel (rebuilt 1991, repaired 2012 and 2020), a 19th-century barn with an original apple crusher and cider press, and Guernsey's largest granite cobbled water ford. Entry is free with no on-site facilities.

Specialises in2

Each capability links to every business in the Baliwick that shares it.

Established

1550 · 476 years

Credentials

Memberships & accreditations

  • National Trust Guernsey

Visiting & access

Parking
No on-site parking; park further up the hill and walk back

Contact

Social
Address
Rue de Quanteraine, St Pierre du Bois, Guernsey GY7 9DP

History4

Key dates and recorded company events for Le Moulin de Quanteraine.

  • 1989Acquired by the National Trust
  • 1991Waterwheel restored by College of Further Education students
  • 2012Waterwheel repaired
  • 2020Waterwheel repaired

Compiled from public sources — mistakes are possible. If something here looks wrong, let us know.